Home canning is pretty simple. Follow the steps in this video and you’ll become an expert in no time.
PROCESSING TIME: If you live at a higher altitude, the water boils at a “lower” temperature therefore the processing time has to be longer. Adjust the processing time according to your elevation.
- 1000 to 3000 feet (306-915 meters) = 5 minutes
- 3000 to 6000 feet (916-1830 meters) = 10 minutes
- 6000 to 8ooo feet (1831-2440) meters) = 15 minutes
- 8000 to 10000 feet (2441-3050 meters) = 20 minutes
HEAD SPACE GUIDELINE: Depending on the food type, the head space may differ. Please refer to the guideline below.
- Jam & Jelly —- 1/4 inch (0.5 cm)
- Fruits & Fruit Sauces —- 1/2 inch (1 cm)
- Tomatoes & Pickles —- 1/2 inch (1 cm)
- Relish, Chutney & Salsa —- 1/2 inch (1 cm)
What to do when jars didn’t seal: There are two options…
- Place them in the refrigerator and eat within 1 to 4 weeks depending on the type of food (pickles will last longer than jams).
- Remove the snap lids, wipe the rim of the jars and place new lids on. Don’t forget you’ll have to boil the new lids before placing on the jars. Process again in the water bath – follow step 6 and 7 again.
MORE INFO: With low acid foods (such as Vegetables – Meat & Game – Poultry – Seafood – Stews & Soup) these must be processed in a pressure canner because it needs to reach 240ºF (116ºC) to destroy the C. botulinum spores (Clostridium botulinum).