Barbecue season is officially here although most of us grill all year round. I love the smell of grilled food on the BBQ… it stimulates my appetite! I would say that one of the most popular foods that grill masters love to cook on the “Barby” is steak! It doesn’t matter if it’s a T-bone, New York strip, Filet Mignon or Ribeye, steak on the BBQ is to die for…. With some seasoning and BBQ sauce, there’s nothing more delicious than a juicy medium-rare steak. I’m a carnivore, can you tell?
When we have a BBQ steak dinner, I love to make a nice salad, some fresh steamed vegetables although sometimes I like to serve it with my Tomato Provençale recipe which is coming up this summer July 2017. Other times, I like to have our steaks with Steakhouse Sautéed Mushrooms or baked potatoes with all the traditional goodies. Other times I love making a side dish that is packed with yumminess… my Twice Baked Potatoes.
When it’s time to pair a steak with a side dish, Twice Baked Potatoes is the ultimate choice – let’ not forget a salad as well (salad should be served with most meals anyway… it’s healthy!). It is easy to make and the results are sinfully delicious! I don’t serve this every time we have a steak but when I do, the crowd goes wild… okay I am slightly exaggerating. Let’s put it this way… every time family and friends have had my Twice Baked Potato, they all want the recipe… it’s that good! Now it’s your turn to serve it and have your guests go crazy for it… here we go again with the exaggeration… or maybe not… it’s up to you to find out!
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed, washed and dried
- Canola oil, as needed
- 2 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup red pepper, finely chopped plus 1 tsp. reserved *SEE FOOTNOTE
- 3 sliced cooked bacon, crumbled plus 1 tsp. reserved *SEE FOOTNOTE
- 4 large green onions, finely chopped plus 1 tsp. reserved *SEE FOOTNOTE
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. hot paprika, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-old cheddar cheese, grated plus 1 tsp reserved *SEE FOOTNOTE
- 1 to 3 tbsp. milk, or as needed
FOOTNOTE: Reserve about 1 tsp. of each ingredient (red pepper, bacon, green onion and cheese) to sprinkle on top of both potatoes.