Another Thanksgiving that went relatively well! I wasn’t overly stressed, nothing got burned, all the dishes got ready at the same time and everyone had a great time. When my last guest left, I was tired but happy… it was another successful night at our place!
Each year I buy a big turkey so we can have a lot of leftovers. I’m sure many of you don’t want that – just a couple of dinners and that’s it! The reason why I want leftovers is to make more recipes with them. Everything is already cooked so reusing the ingredients for other dishes makes the task easier and faster. In a way, I’m like most of you – after reheating the leftovers for a couple of nights, I’m ready to have something else. There’s a recipe I have to make each time “the big bird” is on the menu and it’s my Turkey Pot Pie!
Turkey Pot Pie is a simple dish with so many flavors. The “I don’t want to eat turkey again for dinner” turns into a “yum… can I have more, please”! This delicious recipe has great fresh ingredients such as vegetables, spices and herbs cooked in a beautiful creamy sauce. This is one of those recipes that elevates turkey leftovers to a whole new level. It can also be frozen to enjoy later.
I really love this recipe and have no problem looking forward to leftovers just so I can enjoy this yummy dish again! Don’t be afraid of that humongous pile of turkey meat… there’s a flavorful solution to use it all up!
- 4 (10-inch) unbaked pie crusts *SEE FOOTNOTE #1
- 1 large egg, beaten and divided
- 3 1/2 cups turkey meat, cubed (substitute chicken)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup mix peppers such as red, orange, yellow and poblano, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 small red potatoes, diced (substitute Yukon gold)
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- About 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth to cover (reserve 2 1/2 cups from it)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (substitute hot paprika)
- 1/4 tsp. celery seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup 35% heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped *SEE FOOTNOTE #2
FOOTNOTE #1: For a great pie dough recipe, click on this link... Foolproof Pie Dough
FOOTNOTE #2: Before placing the top crust over the turkey/sauce mixture, sprinkle about 1 tbsp. of chopped parsley per pie
1 1/2 hours