Most of us complain about not having enough time in a day. Quite often I wish a day was 48 hours long as I feel that I’m constantly trying to squeeze as much as I can in a day so I can accomplish more. The downside of it is I am sleep deprived, stressed and often agitated. Although Albert Einstein said that “time” is an illusion, in my world, time is pretty much a harsh reality.
Alright, enough whining…lol! There’s no secret that I love cooking. Although it’s fun, I do appreciate some uncomplicated dishes that are quick to make. Now let’s not confuse quick and easy with less mouthwatering recipes. The two can be easily paired together.
One dish that I enjoy for its simplicity and its amazing flavor is Penne all’Arrabbiata. It’s incredibly fast to prepare! Originally from the south of Italy, the sauce of this dish is made with pepperoncini, garlic and tomatoes – can’t be much simpler than that! Although I really enjoy the traditional one, I’ve decided to bring it up a notch… why not!
In today’s episode, I am sharing with you my Spicy Sausage Penne all’Arrabbiata. I just couldn’t resist adding a smoky flavor to this dish and I did! It’s a slight twist but the results are just delicious! This recipe takes under ½ hour to make and you can enjoy a savory meal without losing quality and flavor. I’m sure time can be an issue and when it happens, take a deep breath and quickly make this flavorful pasta dish!
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole peeled tomaotes, such as San Marzano
- 1 lb. dry penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup garlic sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. ground sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade, plus more for garnish
- Grated Grana Padano cheese, for garnish