When I think of Spain, I think of architecture, landscapes, music, history and food. Located in Southwestern Europe, Spain is one of the oldest countries in Europe and is mostly surrounded by water; the Bay of Biscay to the North, the Mediterranean Sea to the East and the Strait of Gibraltar to the South. Its neighbours are France, Andorra, Portugal and Gibraltar. Although Spain was and still is influenced by many different cultures, the Spanish love their fish and seafood and come 2nd after Portugal in consumption.
Spain is on my bucket list and I just can’t wait to go there for a visit one day. In the meantime, I enjoy Spanish cooking and savor their food. One dish I love to make at least twice a year is my Spanish Paella. For me, September is the best time to make paella with the abundance and freshness of seafood, shellfish and crustaceans in the markets. To make a successful paella, you need fresh ingredients.
This Spanish Paella is perfect if you are entertaining 5 to 6 guests for dinner. It is quite simple to make as long as you follow each step and don’t try to rush anything. Kick back, relax and have a glass of wine (or two) and chill out with your guests… lol! Try this amazing dish and it will become one of your favorites for entertaining!
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin oil, divided
- 1 large boneless pork chop, cubed
- 3/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into thin strips (about 1 1/2-inch long)
- 1 medium yellow pepper, cut into thin strips (about 1 1/2-inch long)
- 1 medium poblano pepper, cut into thin strips (about 1 1/2-inch long) *SEE FOOTNOTE
- 2 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 medium chicken breasts, cubed and seasoned with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 2 1/2 cups calrose or bomba rice
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chorizo sausages, sliced and quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp. capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. saffron
- 12 large clams, scrubbed and debearded
- 12 large mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 12 large prawns, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
FOOTNOTE: If you can find guindilla verde peppers, substitute with the poblano peppers.
KITCHEN TOOLS: The 15-inch Paella Pan can be purchased in the "SHOP" section of Club Foody