I have a confession to make… I like breakfast a lot but I don’t eat it often. Weird, I know! Through a whole year, I might eat breakfast maybe 30 to 40 times and that is pushing it. I don’t know how many times I scheduled to have a nice breakfast with David and somehow just don’t have it.
Basically what I’m saying here is I’ve been trying to make this recipe more times than you can imagine and each time I somehow find a way to postpone it to another day then the day turned into weeks and months. So finally, I can share this awesome breakfast recipe with you.
I enjoy omelets and it was one of my favorite’s breakfast foods when my father was making it on Sundays. His were so fluffy! I like the fact they are so versatile and you can flavor them the way your heart desires on that particular morning. One “rare” morning though, David and I decided to make an omelet with what we had left in the refrigerator and that’s how this recipe was created. The first time ever made, it was good but not exactly where I wanted it to be. Of course, it took months before I gave it another try and now it is a favorite of mine when I make the effort.
It is a little “perky” as a breakfast meal but it’s all good and the flavors marry well together. Served with fresh fruits and a side of toast, this omelet can also become either a lunch or dinner dish… it’s quite filling! I hope you’re not like me and will give it a try sooner rather than later… lol!
- 6 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 3 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup poblano pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chorizo sausage, sliced, quartered and finley chopped
- 1 large mushroom, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) diced tomatoes & green chilies, (such as Ro*Tel®), drained
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. hot sauce, such as Cholula®
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp. ground sea salt
- 1 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
FOOTNOTE: When taking your soufflé out from the oven, it will deflate slightly as it cools off.
KITCHEN TOOLS: The 5 1/2 Quart 12 Speed Cuisinart Stand Mixer can be purchased in the "SHOP" section of Club Foody