Most of us bake cakes on special occasions such as Birthdays, Holidays, Retirement, Anniversaries, dinner parties and even… for love! Yep, we lovers have our own celebration which is Valentine’s Day as you can probably guess.
When it comes to Valentines’ Day, there are all sorts of little things we like to do for each other. It can be anything from flowers, a lovely dinner at home or at a restaurant, balloons, a weekend gateway, romantic card, chocolate, opera or other concert and even jewelry just to name a few. I believe that it doesn’t really matter what you do on that day as long as we are together with our partner.
Almost every Valentine’s Day, David and I stay at home because we don’t want to deal with the craziness of that event. We cook a lovely dinner together, open a very good bottle of wine, play our favorite music, light up some candles and enjoy each other’s company. We don’t really eat dessert that often but occasionally we do on Valentine’s Day.
For today’s recipe I’ve decided to share my Chocolate Raspberry Cake with a Mirror Glaze with you. It is so lusciously moist and the beauty of this cake is its glaze…! By the way, not just you and your honey are a match made in heaven… so is chocolate and raspberry together! The two combined together is so delicious! Plus the finishing touch is a beautiful dark chocolate glaze… that looks like a mirror! Wow!
It’s like the cherry on top of the sundae… or in this case …the raspberries!
If you are celebrating Valentine’s or not, you’ll definitely be proud to serve this Chocolate Raspberry Cake with Mirror Glaze for any occasion.
- RASPBERRY FILLING
- 1 tbsp. gelatin powder mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- 8 ounces fresh raspberries, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- CHOCOLATE BATTER
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground Himalayan sea salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 large organic free range eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk *SEE FOOTNOTE
- 1/4 cup brewed black coffee
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1 tbsp. gelatin powder mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 ounces semisweet dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp. shaved dark chocolate, for ganish *optional